Are You Interested In Exploring A Career In Law Enforcement?
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office Explorer Post 983 is a member of the Boy Scouts of America and adheres to the principles set forth by the Boy Scouts of America Explorer programs across the nation. The Explorers are also members of the Florida Sheriff's Explorer Association (FSEA). This is a state organization that meets four times a year throughout the State of Florida. During the meetings the Explorers work on State Projects, compete in Firearm Competitions, attend seminars, socials, and dances.
To become an Explorer you must meet certain requirements.
1. Must have completed the eighth grade and are 14 years of age, or are 15 years of age but have not yet reached their 21st birthday.
2. Must be in good physical condition.
3. Must be enrolled in school and maintain a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
4. Must complete the Alachua County Sheriff's Office background check.
5. Obtain a letter of recommendation from your school.
6. Must be a current resident of Alachua County.
Becoming an Explorer opens up opportunities to meet new friends, make a difference in your community, obtain law enforcement experience, and career opportunities.
As an Explorer, you will gain leadership qualities, responsibility, maintain integrity and pride, as well as self discipline and motivation.
What Does An Explorer Do?
The aim of the Explorer Post is to explore law enforcement as a possible career choice, develop leadership skills, and to provide service to the community.
Directing traffic and assist parking at community functions.
Assist in registration, checkpoints, and crowd Control during charitable events.
Assist deputies at high school and college sporting events.
Assist with security at Regional B.S.A. Camporees.
Assist with programs such as Print-A-Kid and other related functions.
Explorers are required to attend the Sheriff's Explorer Academy.
Quarterly state-wide training seminars.
Ride-Along Program within the Patrol Division.
Various classroom and field training exercises.
2621 SE Hawthorne Road, Gainesville, FL, 32601