Family events, kids activities and parenting resources in the Gainesville area!
HIPPY (Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters)
What is the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) Program?
HIPPY is an evidence-based home visiting program designed to improve children's outcomes by supporting parents in their role as their child's first and most important teacher. This home-visiting model has proven to be effective in improving school readiness, parent involvement, school attendance, classroom behavior, standardized test scores, and academic performance. The program serves parents of preschool children ages 2 to 5 years old.
What do parents receive from the program?
Parents receive a set of carefully developed materials, curriculum, and books designed to:
• Improve language and listening skills
• Expands vocabulary
• Strengthens children's social and emotional development
• Preparation for academic success
The curriculum is provided to parents for 30 weeks. HIPPY staff meet with parents for 45 minutes each week to provide training on the materials using role-play and interactive activities. Parents then use the HIPPY curriculum and new skills to teach their children for 20 minutes each day.
Parents also participate in networking opportunities with other parents through parent group meetings.
How does HIPPY help children?
HIPPY helps to prepare children for school by teaching reading skills, problem-solving skills and the ability to listen and follow instructions. HIPPY increases;
• Vocabulary development
• Receptive & expressive language development
• Listening skills
• Verbal skills
• Auditory memory
• Phonemic / Phonological awareness
• Early writing experiences
• Observation skills
• Independent thinking
• Problem solving
• Logical reasoning
• Scientific exploration
• Organizing, classifying, & sorting
• Sequencing, matching, & comparing
• Number recognition & counting
• Math concepts
• Shapes & colors
• Book knowledge
• Enjoyment of reading
• Story comprehension, recall, and retell
• Story sequencing
• Pring concepts
• Letter knowledge & recognition
• Dramatic Play
• Music & movement
• Expressing Feelings / Emotions
• Cultural awareness
• Following directions
• And much more!
How much does HIPPY cost?
There is no cost for families to participate in HIPPY. However, families must qualify to participate in the program. Parents will be asked to complete an application and submit a few required documents in order to determine their eligibility. HIPPY staff are available to assist parents with this process.
• Parents are required to meet with the HIPPY Mentor once a week for 30 weeks.
• Child must reside in Alachua County.
• Child must be a US citizen
Fearnside Family Services Center 3600 NE 15th Street, Gainesville, FL, 32609