*Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Fun4GatorKids Blog to get an update every time a new blog is published!*
Spring is just around the corner, which means there are events and to-dos you won't want to miss! If you have kiddos and live in the Gainesville area, you'll want to keep this list handy!
1. Get ready for Strawberry Season - We are beyond lucky to have u-pick strawberry farms in and around Gainesville! My family looks forward to picking strawberries every spring! They are so much fun to pick (and eat) that we end up walking away with several pounds of fruit at a fraction of grocery store prices. Just as soon as we get the word that the U-Pick Farms are open, we'll post all of the information here.
2. Visit different local Parks and Playgrounds - There's nothing better than getting the kids outdoors. They have fun, run off all of their energy, and typically sleep well thereafter! Make a list of all the local playgrounds, and visit a new one each week! There are parks and playgrounds hidden all over Gainesville that you probably never even knew of, so be sure to check our list of the 63 local playgrounds! You can even print it and start crossing off each playground you've visited.
3. Enroll your child in Swim Lessons - It's time to get your little ones ready for the water! Classes are enrolling now and will fill up fast! Parents have several options in Alachua County, including private, group and ISR lessons. Each option - along with a class description, location and contact information - can be found on the Fun4GatorKids website!
4. Visit a local Spring, River or Lake - After your little ones learn how to swim, it's time to plan a visit to one of the nearby springs, rivers or lakes! Blue Springs is my personal favorite, because of its shallow "beach-like" area where kids can play. There are also nearby locations where you can tube, see waterfalls and explore all of the fresh water that surrounds Gainesville! Visit the site to start planning your trip!
5. Register your child for Preschool - If you've enrolled an older sibling in preschool, then you know all about the preschool search - LONG lines on registration day, waiting lists, and the anticipation of enrolling your child in the perfect program. Preschools are already enrolling for the 2015-2016 school year. We've broken down all of the Alachua County Preschools into three lists: Faith-Based, Non-Religious, and VPK (those that offer FREE preschool). Start planning your school tours now!
6. Do some Spring Cleaning and Donate - Following the wave of presents that my children receive for Christmas, I find myself cramming toys into their rooms and looking for places to store all of their stuff! Come February, I am ready to do some spring cleaning. Make a "Donate" box for each of your children, and have them fill it with things they can help you take to a local non-profit or consignment shop.
7. Go on a Nature Adventure - We have just a small window of temperatures in the 70s here in Florida, so now is the time to get outside and go on a Nature Adventure! Two places in particular that you'll want to visit are Kanapaha Botanical Gardens and Cedar Lakes Woods and Gardens. The flowers are in full bloom this time of year at the Botanical Gardens!
8. Enroll your child in a Spring Break Camp - Spring Break for Alachua County students is approaching - March 20-24. Camps fill up FAST in Gainesville, so you'll want to enroll your children now. There is certainly a camp for every age and interest - from camps at the Florida Museum of Natural History, to sports camps, to horseback riding camps! Click here to see all of your options.
9. Sign up your child in the Programs and Sports Leagues Now Registering - Looking to enroll your child in a local sports league but don't know where to start? We always keep a list on Fun4GatorKids of Programs Now Registering. Most programs offer early-bird discounts, so you won't want to miss those money-saving deadlines!
Kanapaha Botanical Gardens and Cedar Lakes Woods and Gardens are paid advertisers on Fun4GatorKids. All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.