Join NAMI Gainesville and Dr. Marcia Morris for an engaging and informative talk about how parents can promote mental health and wellness for their high school age child dealing with the pressures of college acceptance.
Dr. Morris is a University of Florida Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Associate Program Director for The Student Health Care Center Psychiatry. She is the author of the new book, The Campus Cure: A Parent's Guide to Mental Health and Wellness for College Students.
If these issues are on your mind, Dr. Marcia Morris will offer specific tools you can use to do the following:
• Reduce the pressure of perfectionism in academics and college admissions that may be driving high levels of teen depression and anxiety
• Assess whether your child might benefit from a gap year rather than going straight to college
• Engage your child in a dialogue about mental health so they can feel comfortable opening up to you if they are depressed or have suicidal thoughts
• Recognize symptom of depression, anxiety, and substance use disorders in your high school student and know how to get help
• Reduce the harmful effects of social media on teen mental health